What's New About XH Series 2 Falcon Ute & Van
16 October, 1997
- V8 engine reintroduced into Ute for first time in 15 years; optional in 'S' automatic Ute, standard in new XR8 Ute model.
- New model--XR8 Ute--spawned with V8 reintroduction.
- Upgraded interior trim fabrics, wheels & options.
- Outback Ute reduced in r.r.price via spec revisions.
- Tonneau tie down hooks change to steel post type (were plastic lugs).
- Tonneau cover deletes stitch lines over cross bars for cleaner look and prevention of water leaks.
- Recommended retail price increases less than 1% (except Outback which reduces 1.85%).
GLi Ute & Van
- Remote entry / central locking added (not van rear doors).
- Three seat capacity added to manuals; no cost option; (prey only on autos via Centafold bench+column shift & all Outbacks).
- 15" wheels & P205/65 HRl5 tyres.
(replace 14" & P195/75's except on 1-Tonne which retains 14s).
(memo: Outback now as 1-Tonne retains own 15" spoke steel + 205/75 8-ply).
- 4-spoke steering wheel (same as was fitted with optional driver airbag; replaces prior std 3-spoke wheel) & seat trim from EL sedan fitted.
- Matching grey (replaces black) on lower central panel (housing climate controls & audio system) & audio fascia.
- A second/additional heavy duty 1 -tonne suspension with single rate rear springs; caters for consistent usage at or close to 1 tonne load. (supplements 2-stage spring 1-Tonne suspension which softens light load ride).
--5-litre sequential MPEFI, 165 kW @ 4500 rpm, 388 Nm @ 3000 rpm;
--LSD mandatory with V8. Ratio: 3.23:1 (standard except in XR, O'back).
- New design (same as Splash Ute/EF Fairmont Ghia) alloy wheels with lower profile & wider tyres: P225/60 x 15" (ilo 205/65 x 15).
- New interior trim package (ex 'Splash' ute) : leather rim steering wheel; velour seat trim bolsters & door trims; 'pixel' design seat insert fabric.
- New "5" graphic on bodysides & tailgate, + V8 graphic as appropriate.
- New options:
--Sports Suspension by Tickford. Stance & handling as XR; (can be ordered as stand alone option, ie without 16" wheels).
--16" alloy sports wheels & P225 /50 ZR 16 Yokohama A510 tyres (only available with Sports Suspension option).
- XR8 new model added; available in manual & automatic;
--has 5-litre, sequential MPEFI V8 with 185 kW @ 4500 rpm & 402 Nm @ 3000 rpm (as specified from 10/97 in EL Falcon XR8 sedan);
--mandatory diff is 3.45:1 LSD.
- --same for XR6 Ute manual which gets acceleration boost with change from 3.23.
- Nose styling updated to current EL Falcon XR (scalloped 4 round headlights) (replacing prior EF XR sedan nosecone design).
- 16" wheels (sports alloy) with P225/SO ZR 16 Yokohama AS 1 Os standard on XR8, optional on XR6 which retains 15" alloys as std.
- Seat trim updated to EL XR sedan.
- Rec. retail price lowered \$544 to \$28,790 via revisions to previously standard specs:
--Bullbar becomes extra cost option;
--Underbody flaps (not sumpguard) deleted.
As per GLi, remote entry, upgraded interior trim, 4-spoke steering wheel & grey lower central dash panel all added.
New / Changed Options:
- Bullbar (same design as on Outback) now offered on all except XR; tailored to integrate with plan view curvature of front styling & where appropriate to be compatible with driver airbag.
- Body kit: new offering on all but Outback; comprises front bib spoiler + side skirts + skirt extensions aft of rear wheelarches.
- Tickford fitted LPG kit now locates spare wheel flat on load bed & uses standard tonneau (prior spare was mounted upright in RH rear corner of load box with tailored bulge in tonneau).
New Car Reviews
No New Car Reviews available
23 December, 1997
19 December, 1997
18 December, 1997
17 December, 1997
15 December, 1997
12 December, 1997
11 December, 1997
10 December, 1997
08 December, 1997